Linux is an open source platform and has always proven to be the most popular choice in web hosting, simply because it allows web hosting companies to offer competitively priced web hosting plans. Host.co.in offers a full range of Linux Web Hosting plans, ranging from shared web hosting to dedicated server hosting; this puts us in a position that means we can meet the needs of any prospective customers, with our 24×7 support team on hand to offer any assistance necessary. The open source nature of the Linux platform also enables a wider variety of customization, which has led to a number of third-party modifications and applications being available that are also open source; this means that the overall cost of running a Linux server is going to be far less than that of a comparable Windows server.
It is important to consider that the operating system that you choose to use as the platform for your web hosting plan will serve as a guide as to which technologies you can use to develop your website as well as the features that you can expect from a web hosting plan. In the case of the Linux operating system, Host.co.in recommends that you use this platform if you wish to utilize the following technologies as part of your web applications:
- If developing scalable web applications, the PHP scripting language is one of the best choices available in terms of scripting frameworks because it can offer you a wide variety of features and modules that can be used to create feature-rich web applications
- If a database backend is needed for your website then we recommend using MySQL databases on a Linux platform because advanced support is offered for these with the control panel that we use for a majority of our Linux hosting services, cPanel
- Support for advanced CGI scripts that can be used for more complex purposes such as email piping to databases are also supported with our Linux web hosting plans.
Linux can offer variety when you come to consider dedicated hosting, whether this be a VPS server or a dedicated server; there are many different Linux distributions to choose from and with each distribution having been designed for a different purpose, this represents another opportunity to develop a highly customized hosting environment. If there is a distribution that you would like to use, but sure unsure if Host.co.in offers it, please contact our support team as they will be able to arrange a solution that falls in line with your requirements.
Windows Web Hosting Services
As is the case with our Linux web hosting plans, Host.co.in also offers a number of different Windows web hosting services at different pricing points that are aimed at different target audiences. Windows is a commercial operating system and for this reason you should expect Windows web hosting services to be slightly more expensive than Linux hosting services of a similar specification; however the target audience for Windows hosting is often different to that of Linux. With Linux hosting often targeted at beginners and enthusiasts, Windows hosting is offered by Host.co.in with a target audience of businesses of all sizes in mind.
Windows is a closed operating system with many of the technologies and applications supported by the operating system being commercial in their licensing nature as well, therefore meaning that they will only function on Windows and no other OS. Examples of such applications can include:
- Microsoft SQL Server is an enterprise-class database server that is used extensively to power web applications and the internal applications used by large corporations; the fact that it only works with the Windows OS guarantees full compatibility and integration with the platform
- If you are going to be developing web applications for the Windows platform then you will be wanting to use ASP.NET 4.0 so that you can access the full power of the Windows OS
- As a Windows dedicated hosting customer, Host.co.in can provide installation of Microsoft Exchange Server if you are looking for a highly scalable email and collaboration system that your employees can use to communicate with one another.
For beginners that haven’t used the Windows platform before we recommend that you begin with one of our feature-rich Window shared hosting plans; this will put you in a good position to learn what the Plesk control panel and the other features of our Windows services can offer you. Host.co.in can also offer fully managed Windows VPS servers and Windows dedicated servers for businesses in need of a highly reliable web hosting service with a dedicated environment.
Windows vs. Linux
The choice between Windows and Linux is one that you will need to make based on your own or your businesses aspirations. Every business looking to establish a web presence will have different requirements and although both platforms can offer the same in terms of hosting your website, it’s the finer details that help to differentiate the two platforms. Host.co.in offers both Windows hosting and Linux hosting so that there is something available for anyone wanting to consider us for their hosting needs; regardless of the platform package that you choose, you will be entitled to receive our full 24×7 support.